LONDON (Reuters) - British transport minister Grant Shapps urged Britons and particularly hauliers on Sunday not to travel to ports in Kent in southern England after France said it would bar those coming from Britain for 48 hours from Sunday night.
Earlier on Sunday, several European countries began closing their doors to travellers from Britain after the country tightened restrictions in London and southern England to try to curb the spread of a new strain of COVID-19.
“Following the French government’s announcement it will not accept any passengers arriving from the UK for the next 48hrs, we’re asking the public and particularly hauliers not to travel to Kent ports or other routes to France,” Shapps said on Twitter.
“We expect significant disruption in the area.”
Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Daniel Wallis
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.