* President Santos had been wanted for 2008 bombing
* Case against Santos continues, but without arrest order
LAGO AGRIO, Ecuador, Aug 30 (Reuters) - An Ecuadorean arrest order against Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos was revoked by a provincial judge on Monday, but the case stemming from a 2008 bombing of Ecuadorean territory remains open.
As Colombia's defense minister, Santos ordered the 2008 raid against a Colombian rebel camp on Ecuador's side of the border. A top guerrilla commander, Raul Reyes, was killed.
Ecuador's government called the bombing a violation of its sovereignty while local authorities ordered Santos captured.
But Judge Daniel Mendez of Sucumbios provincial court on Monday revoked the warrant against Santos, who was elected Colombia's president in June.
Mendez cited "judicial equity" in his decision, saying it would not be fair to arrest only Santos considering that other Colombian officials involved in the case were not being sought for capture.
"The arrest order against Juan Manuel Santos has been revoked in order to provide equal conditions," the judge told reporters. "This does not mean that the case is closed. The process continues."
Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa has warmed toward Colombia since Santos was sworn in earlier this month, and says he is willing to work toward re-establishment of full diplomatic relations between the neighboring Andean countries.
Santos was elected on promises of continuing Colombia's U.S.-backed military crackdown on the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, which is fighting a decades-old revolution in the name of socialism. (Reporting by Victor Gomez; editing by Mohammad Zargham)
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.