SEOUL, Sept 6 (Reuters) - North Korea said on Monday it was releasing the seven-man crew of a South Korean fishing boat, including three Chinese, after they illegally entered its waters last month.
State news agency KCNA said the crew would be sent back South Korea “taking into consideration the fact that they admitted the seriousness of their act and gave assurances that they would never repeat such an act”.
Tensions have mounted on the peninsula this year after the sinking of a South Korean warship -- Seoul says it was sunk by a North Korean torpedo -- and a series of recent military drills by the United States and South Korea. (Reporting by Jeremy Laurence; Editing by Ron Popeski)
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.