Jan 3 (Reuters) - Following are security developments in Iraq at 1930 GMT on Thursday.
* denotes new or updated items.
* DIYALA PROVINCE - Two U.S. soldiers were killed and one injured in a small-arms fire attack in Diyala province, the U.S. military.
* SOUTH OF BAGHDAD - The U.S. military reported one of its soldiers had been killed on Wednesday by a roadside bomb south of Baghdad.
* MOSUL - A rocket propelled grenade struck a police checkpoint killing three policemen and wounding four in Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
* TAL AFAR - Two civilians, including one child, died when U.S. forces returned fire after a roadside bomb struck a convoy that included the police chief of the town of Tal Afar 420 km (260 miles) northwest of Baghdad, Iraqi police Brigadier-General Mohammed al-Wagaa said. The morgue in the town confirmed the deaths of the two civilians.
* DIYALA PROVINCE - Iraqi police detained 25 suspected insurgents in Diyala province north of the provincial capital Baquba in a major operation. In a separate operation West of Baquba, they said they detained four people and found 16 cars rigged as car bombs, said Major-General Abdul-Karim al-Rubaie, head of operations for Iraqi security force in the province.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb killed two people and wounded five when it exploded in Baghdad's southern outskirt of Zaafaraniya, police said.
BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb wounded four street cleaners in the New Baghdad district of the capital, police said.
BAGHDAD - A Katyusha rocket killed one person and wounded two when it landed on a house in western Baghdad's Shi'ite Washash neighbourhood, police said.
BAGHDAD - The bodies of three people were found in Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.
HAWIJA - Gunmen in a car attacked a checkpoint manned by members of the Awakening council, neighbourhood patrol volunteers fighting with the U.S. and Iraqi forces against al- Qaeda, wounding three of them in the town of Hawija, 180 km (110 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.
MOSUL - Clashes erupted between gunmen and the police killing one policeman and wounding two on Wednesday in Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said. police detained 16 suspected insurgents after the clashes.
BAGHDAD - Clashes between the Iraqi Army and the neighourhood patrol of Baghdad's Sunni Aadhamiya district left three patrolmen wounded on Wednesday, members of the patrols said.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.