N'DJAMENA, July 21 (Reuters) - Chad's armed forces did not attack Sudan's army or population during an air raid on rebels there last week, a Chadian minister said on Tuesday, repeating accusations that Sudan was fuelling the conflict.
Khartoum says that last week's raid on Chadian rebels in Um Dukhn, a town in its west Darfur district, was the fourth such incident in two months and on Monday Sudan lodged a complaint to the U.N. Security Council over the incident.
"We didn't touch the population or the Sudanese army," Mahamat Hissene, Chad's information minister and government spokesman, told Reuters on Tuesday when asked to give details on the air raid.
The oil-producing neighbours have long-accused each other of launching cross-border raids and waging a proxy war through their respective rebel groups operating in Sudan's west and Chad's east, regions hosting hundreds of thousands of refugees.
Hissene repeated accusations that Sudan was sending groups into Chad to distribute small arms and ammunition to rebels who crossed back into Sudan when they were pursued by Chad's forces.
"Sudan wants to portray itself as the victim but everyone knows that it is Sudan who attacks Chad. It doesn't fool anyone ... It is the continuation of the destabilisation of Chad," Hissene added.
Diplomats at the United Nations were sceptical that the Security Council would take any action over the complaint.
U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said on Monday he was "disturbed" by the reported bombing and, in the same statement, he was "gravely concerned" at reports the Sudanese government had bombed rebel positions in Darfur. (Reporting by Moumine Ngarmbassa; Writing by David Lewis)