LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Deep Purple’s 1973 hit “Smoke on the Water” is the greatest guitar riff of all time, according to a poll by a London music school that has taught members of top bands like Radiohead, The Kinks and The Cure.
The majority of the 25 songs selected by current students of the London Tech Music School, were recorded in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Only seven were recorded in the last 20 years.
“It was the iconic era for the electric guitar.” head of the school’s Guitar and Bass section John Wheatcroft told Reuters.
“A lot of our students started listening to their parents records and discovered these bands through them.”
The most recent song selected was “Seven Nation Army” recorded by American rock band The White Stripes in 2003.
But Wheatcroft does not believe this spells the end of modern music.
“The great riffs can simply be the ones that withstood the test of time.” he said. “It might just be a question of waiting till the dust settles and in 10 years time it could be completely different.”
Other songs include “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix (1967), “Walk This Way” by Aerosmith (1975) and “Money For Nothing” by Dire Straits (1984).
A list of the top songs chosen follows:
1. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (1973)
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)
3. Walk This Way - Aerosmith (1975)
4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
5. Sweet Child O Mine - Guns N Roses (1987)
6. Paradise City - Guns N Roses (1987)
7. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead (1980)
8. Enter Sandman - Metallica (1991)
9. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1992)
10. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N Roses (1987)
11. Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden (1982)
12. Walk - Pantera (1992)
13. Johnny Be Goode - Chuck Berry (1958)
14. Back In Black - AC/DC (1980)
15. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin (1970)
16. Wake Up - Rage Against The Machine (1992)
17. Highway to Hell - AC/DC (1979)
18. My Generation - The Who (1965)
19. 7 Nation Army - The White Stripes (2003)
20. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf (1968)
21. Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1991)
22. Paranoid - Black Sabbath (1970)
23. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix (1967)
24. Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor (1982)
25. Money For Nothing - Dire Straits (1984)
Editing by Paul Casciato
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.