Position: Governor, Central Bank of Malaysia
Incumbent: Zeti Akhtar Aziz
Date of Birth: Aug 27, 1947
Term: Since May 2000; eligible for reappointment
- Zeti is the daughter of Royal Professor Ungku Aziz Ungku Abdul Hamid, a former vice chancellor of the University of Malaya and one of Malaysia’s leading intellectuals.
- Zeti studied economics at the University of Malaya graduating with honours and has a Masters and PhD from the University of Pennsylvania in the U.S.
- She started her career as a research economist in 1979 at the South-East Asian Central Bank Research and Training Centre (attached to the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank). Zeti joined Malaysia’s central bank in 1985 as deputy manager in the economics department.
- On Sept. 1 1998, during the peak of the Asian financial crisis, Zeti was appointed the Acting Governor of Bank Negara leading the team on exchange control. She then held the post of Deputy Governor for two years. She was appointed Governor on May 1, 2000 and has held the post ever since.
- She is married with two children.