NEW YORK, Sept 15 (Reuters) - U.S. gold futures ended lower on Wednesday but hovered near the previous session's all-time high, as volatilities in other markets prompted jittery investors to buy gold as an alternative asset.
* For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* COMEX December gold futures GCZ0 settled down $3 at $1,268.70 an ounce on the COMEX division of the NYMEX.
* Ranged from $1,264.50 to $1,273.50 per ounce.
* Notion that gold is a reserve asset is a fundamental reason for the metal's rally to all-time high - Dennis Gartman, publisher of the Gartman Letter.
* Buying sentiment in the metal was weighed down by comments from billionaire financier George Soros, who told Reuters Insider that gold is "the ultimate bubble" and "it's certainly not safe and it's not going to last forever." [ID:nN15153856]
* The spot bullion market was supported at just below $1,270 an ounce, near its all-time high at $1,274.75 set on Tuesday, as the dollar surged 3 percent against the yen as Japan intervened to weaken its currency for the first time in six years.
* COMEX final gold volume at a modest 101,686 lots.
* Spot gold XAU= was at $1,267.25 an ounce by 3:51 p.m. EDT (1951 GMT), versus the previous session's last trade at $1,270.27 an ounce.
* London afternoon gold fix XAUFIX= at $1,267 an ounce.
* COMEX December silver SIZ0 finished up 13.9 cents at $20.571 an ounce on strong fund buying.
* Ranged from $20.34 to $20.65 an ounce - highest since March 2008.
* COMEX estimated final volume at 30,621 lots.
* Spot silver XAG= was at $20.55 in late New York dealings, against $20.40 in the previous session.
* London silver was fixed XAGFIX= at $20.44 an ounce.
* NYMEX October platinum PLV0 ended up $10.90 at $1,605.30 an ounce on Asian demand - traders.
* Platinum group metals rose with silver as well as other industrial metals - traders.
* Spot platinum XPT= at $1,608 an ounce.
* NYMEX December palladium PAZ0 closed up $5.80, or 1.1 percent, at $559.60 an ounce.
* Spot palladium XPD= at $553.50 an ounce. Prices at 3:53 p.m. EDT (1953 GMT)
LAST/ NET PCT YTD
CLOSE CHG CHG CHG US gold GCZ0 1268.70 -3.00 -0.2% 15.7% US silver SIZ0 20.542 0.141 0.0% 21.9% US platinum PLV0 1605.30 10.90 0.7% 9.1% US palladium PAZ0 557.15 5.40 1.0% 36.3% Gold XAU= 1266.85 -3.42 -0.3% 15.6% Silver XAG= 20.56 0.16 0.8% 22.1% Platinum XPT= 1607.50 21.20 1.3% 9.7% Palladium XPD= 553.50 6.25 1.1% 36.6% Gold Fix XAUFIX= 1267.00 -3.40 -0.3% 14.8% Silver Fix XAGFIX= 20.44 13.00 0.6% 20.3% Platinum Fix XPTFIX= 1584.50 5.50 0.3% 8.1% Palladium Fix XPDFIX= 546.00 5.00 0.9% 35.8% (Reporting by Frank Tang; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)