NEW YORK, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Gold futures rose toward $960 an ounce on Friday, gaining more than 1 percent as the dollar extended losses against the euro, boosting the metal's appeal as a hedge against the falling U.S. currency.
For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* December gold GCZ9 up $12.70, or 1.3 percent, at $954.40 an ounce at 9:46 a.m. EDT (1346 GMT) on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
* Ranging from $939.20 to $959.90.
* Gold accelerated gains after COMEX pit open as the dollar slumped to a two-week low against the euro on the back of optimistic services-sector data in the euro zone. [FRX/]
* The inverse relationship between gold and the dollar has been reasserting itself. Earlier this year, the traditional link broke down because both assets benefited from a flight to safety amid economic fears - analysts.
* Investors sold U.S. dollar holdings to buy gold and crude oil, and the December contract looked set to break out and test the next significant resistance level at $975 an ounce - George Gero, vice president of RBC Capital Markets Global Futures.
* Gold/oil ratio at 12.84, down from the previous session's 12.92.
* COMEX estimated 9 a.m. gold volume at 52,212 lots.
* Spot gold XAU= at $951.85 an ounce, against $939.35 in late Thursday dealings in New York.
* London afternoon gold fix XAUFIX= at $952.50 an ounce.
* September silver SIU9 up 23.5 cents, or 1.7 percent, at $14.115 an ounce as investors bought the volatile metal on the back of gold's rally. Silver has the characteristics of both precious and industrial metals.
* Ranging from $13.710 to $14.290 an ounce.
* COMEX estimated 9 a.m. silver volume at 17,111 lots.
* Spot silver XAG= at $14.10 an ounce, versus $13.89 an ounce in Thursday's late business.
* London silver fixed XAGFIX= at $14.010 an ounce.
* October platinum PLV9 up $7.70 at $1,249.70 an ounce as a better performance on Wall Street prompted buying. Platinum is mainly used by the car industry as a key component in catalytic converters.
* Spot platinum XPT= at $1,244 an ounce against $1,236.50.
* September palladium PAU9 up $1.60 at $276.85 an ounce, following platinum's gains.
* Spot palladium XPD= at $273.50 an ounce, against its previous finish of $272. Prices at 9:48 a.m. EDT (1348 GMT)
Last Change Pct 2008 YTD
Chg Close % Chg US gold GCZ9 954.50 12.80 1.4 884.30 7.9 US silver SIU9 14.130 0.250 1.8 11.295 25.1 US platinum PLV9 1250.90 8.90 0.7 941.50 32.9 US palladium PAU9 277.15 1.90 0.7 188.70 46.9 Gold XAU= 952.65 13.30 1.4 878.200 8.5 Silver XAG= 14.12 0.23 1.7 11.30 25.0 Platinum XPT= 1242.00 5.50 0.4 924.50 34.3 Palladium XPD= 274.00 2.00 0.7 184.50 48.5 (Reporting by Frank Tang; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)