SINGAPORE, April 29 (Reuters) - Silver and gold were within sight of historic highs on Friday and could resume an uptrend as the dollar held near three-year lows against a basket of currencies on the Federal Reserve's intention to keep interest rates near zero.
* Silver barely moved, standing at 48.28 an ounce by 0017 GMT, having rallied to a record at $49.51 an ounce on Thursday.
* Spot gold added 75 cents to $1,535.70 an ounce after hitting a lifetime high around $1,538 an ounce in the previous session.
* Soaring prices hurt the bottom line of certain manufacturers, including photography company Eastman Kodak , which said on Thursday a hike in raw material costs, particularly silver, led to a decrease in its film business revenue. [ID:nN28229826]
* The dollar wallowed at three-year lows against a basket of currencies early in Asia on Friday and remained on track for its biggest weekly fall in 14 weeks, though selling pressure eased as bears were already very short.
* Tokyo stocks climbed 1.6 percent on Thursday to their highest since last's month earthquake, helped by better-than-expected domestic earnings and strength in U.S. shares after the Federal Reserve pledged to hold short-term rates near zero.
* U.S. crude oil futures rose on Thursday to hit a 31-month high settlement after a volatile trading session that saw a weak dollar attract investors seeking alternative assets.
DATA EVENTS (GMT)
1230 U.S. Personal income mm Oct
1355 U.S. U.Mich conditions final Apr
1355 U.S. U.Mich expectation final Apr
1355 U.S. U.Mich sentiment final Apr
1430 U.S. ECRI index Weekly
:: U.S. Dallas Fed PCE Mar Precious metals prices 0017 GMT Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Turnover Spot Gold 1535.70 0.75 +0.05 8.19 Spot Silver 48.28 -0.13 -0.27 56.45 Spot Platinum 1836.74 1.64 +0.09 3.92 Spot Palladium 782.00 10.77 +1.40 -2.19 TOCOM Gold 4030.00 1.00 +0.02 8.07 17566 TOCOM Platinum 4847.00 31.00 +0.64 3.22 1717 TOCOM Silver 126.10 -0.30 -0.24 55.68 1879 TOCOM Palladium 2021.00 5.00 +0.25 -3.62 154 Euro/Dollar 1.4839 Dollar/Yen 81.57 TOCOM prices in yen per gram. Spot prices in $ per ounce.
(Reporting by Lewa Pardomuan; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
Reuters Terminal users can see related news and prices by double clicking on the codes in brackets: - All precious metals headlines - Precious metals market reports - Daily fixing headlines - Technical analysis - Indian gold reports - European gold prices <0#PREC> - London interbank gold forward rates <0#GOFO=> - London silver forwards - Gold lease rates <0#LGLR=> - London Bullion Market Association - New York Comex gold <0#GC:> and silver <0#SI:> - New York platinum <0#PL:> and palladium <0#PA:> - Asian gold prices <0#PREC> - Australian precious metals prices <0#AUPREC=> - Shanghai Gold Exchange prices - Hong Kong gold exchange prices - Hong Kong bullion prices - Indian bullion prices <0#PREC-IN> - Japanese producer prices For Related News and other topics, double click on one of these codes: SPEED GUIDES