ZURICH, May 16 (Reuters) - The following are some of the main factors expected to affect Swiss stocks on Friday:
* Nearly two-thirds of kidney cancer patients taking Novartis’s RAD001 had progression of their disease delayed by a year, researchers said.
* Novartis’s Zometa drug used to prevent fractures in breast cancer patients whose tumours have spread may actually help slow the cancer itself, U.S. researchers reported.
For related news, click on [NOVN.VX-RTRS-LEN]
* Genentech DNA.N, which is majority owned by Roche, said a trial of Avastin in colon cancer patients who have undergone surgery will be completed earlier than expected due to faster collection of data and a higher-than-planned number of patients with stage III cancer.
* Results from a mid-stage trial showed treatment with Avastin improved survival for patients with recurring brain cancer, Genentech said on Thursday.
* A combination of targeted cancer drugs — GlaxoSmithKline’s (GSK.L) Tykerb and Genentech’s DNA.N Herceptin — works better than Tykerb alone in women with advanced breast cancer, according to new research.
For related news, click on [ROG.VX-RTRS-LEN] or [DNA.N-RTRS-LEN]
Baloise said its business volume grew 6.7 percent in the first quarter, with a lower overall incidence if claims than in the year-ago period.
For related news, click on [BALN.VX-RTRS-LEN]
COMPANY STATEMENTS [CNR-CH]
* Baloise BALN.VX begins 2008 with strong growth [BALN.VX-CNR]
* Arpida ARPN.S announces FDA acceptance of the iclaprim new drug application [ARPN.S-CNR]
* Novartis NOVN.VX Strength and innovation of oncology products and pipeline [NOVN.VX-CNR]
* Esmertec ESMN.S shareholders approve all proposals [ESMN.S-CNR]
EQUITY RESEARCH [CH-RCH]
FOR COMPANIES TRADING EX-DIVIDEND, PLEASE CLICK ON:
.EX.S for all Swiss stocks
.EXSMI.S for blue chips
.EXNSMI.S for other stocks