May 13, 2009 / 1:02 PM / 10 years ago

CORRECTED - UPDATE 1-Motor racing-Renault echo Ferrari's pullout threat

(corrects day of week in first para)

*Renault threaten F1 pullout at end of season

*Say 2010 rules must be changed

(Adds detail, quotes, byline)

By Alan Baldwin

LONDON, May 13 (Reuters) - Former champions Renault followed Ferrari’s lead on Wednesday and threatened to quit Formula One at the end of the season unless the governing body rewrites the 2010 rules.

“If the decisions announced by the (FIA) World Council on the 29th of April 2009 are not revised, we have no choice but to withdraw from the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of 2009,” team boss Flavio Briatore said in a statement.

Champions Ferrari, Formula One’s glamour team who have competed in every championship since 1950, issued a similar threat on Tuesday in response to the introduction of an optional 40 million pound ($60.68 million) budget cap.

Toyota and the two Red Bull-owned teams have also said that they cannot enter what would amount to a two-tier championship next season.

The teams’ stance has raised the stakes considerably in a war of words with the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA), led by Max Mosley. Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is expected to meet the Briton in the next week.

Under the 2010 regulations, those teams accepting the cap would have far greater technical freedom than those continuing with unlimited budgets in order to level the playing field and encourage new entrants.

Renault, champions with Spaniard Fernando Alonso in 2005 and 2006, said they had been forced to reconsider because of the risk of a two-tier series.

The French manufacturer also expressed frustration that the FIA had “completely ignored” the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA)’s own cost saving proposals.

“Our aim is to reduce costs while maintaining the high standards that make Formula One one of the most prestigious brands on the market,” said Briatore.

“We want to achieve this in a coordinated manner with the regulatory and commercial bodies, and we refuse to accept unilateral governance handed out by the FIA.”

Renault team president Bernard Rey added that the manufacturer remained committed to the sport but could not be involved “in a championship operating with different sets of rules.

“If such rules are put into effect, we will be forced to pull out at the end of this season,” he added.

Editing by Miles Evans; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below