May 19, 2011 / 12:39 PM / 9 years ago

NATO chief says no intention to deploy troops in Libya

BRATISLAVA, May 19 (Reuters) - NATO will stick to its strategy in Libya and has no intention to put troops on the ground, Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Thursday.

“In the UN resolution, it is explicitly excluded to put boots on the ground, and we have no intention to do that and we have no intention to ask the UN to mandate the use of troops on the ground,” Rasmussen told a news conference in Slovakia.

He said he had no information on reports that Muammar Gaddafi’s wife, daughter and top oil chief had fled. A Libyan government spokesman earlier on Thursday denied reports that the three had left the country. [ID:nLDE74H280] (Reporting by Martin Santa)

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below