SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Telecommunications companies in Brazil began blocking access to YouTube on Monday after a Brazilian model sued to get the popular video sharing service to remove footage of her having sex from its Web site.
Last week, a court in Sao Paulo state ordered phone companies that provide Internet service in Brazil to block YouTube until it removed the video.
Daniela Cicarelli, a model and ex-wife of soccer star Ronaldo, and her boyfriend, Renato Malzoni Filho, sued YouTube and demanded $116,00 in damages for each day the video, which apparently showed them having sex on a Spanish beach, remained on the Web site (www.youtube.com).
Anyone can post video on YouTube, a unit of Internet search engine Google Inc.
The case dragged on for several months before they filed a third lawsuit in December requesting that YouTube be shut down as long as the video is available to users.
Brasil Telecom said it had blocked Brazilians from seeing the YouTube site. The sex video had been the most widely viewed in Latin America’s biggest country for days.
Embratel Participacoes, Brazil’s leading long distance telephone company, said it was analyzing the technical details of the legal ruling with a view to complying.
Spain’s Telefonica said it would obey the court’s ruling.
Neither Google, nor the lawyer for Cicarelli and Malzoni Filho were immediately available for comment.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.