LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Maverick filmmaker Michael Moore took the first step on Wednesday in launching his own probe into the U.S. government’s investigation of him for making an unauthorized trip to Cuba to film scenes for his latest movie “SiCKO.”
Moore’s attorney David Boies sent the U.S. Treasury Department a Freedom of Information Act request for all documents in its possession regarding its civil investigation of Moore which was launched by the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
The Office of Foreign Assets Control told Moore earlier this month that it was conducting a civil investigation to see if he violated the U.S. trade embargo restricting travel to Cuba. The office said Moore did not apply for the license required for Americans visiting Cuba.
Moore took a group of 9/11 survivors to Cuba to see if their ailments could be helped under the Cuba medical system.
His film about the weaknesses of the American health care system opens at the Cannes Film Festival this week.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.