DAKAR, June 23 (Reuters) - President Abdoulaye Wade of Senegal has withdrawn a proposed change to the election after listening to the concerns of the country’s donors and population, a government spokesman said on Thursday.
Spokesman Serigne Mbacke Ndiaye said Wade had decided that no one could be elected in the first round without 50 percent of the votes, reversing a proposal to reduce the threshold to 25 percent.
Clashes broke out earlier on Thursday around parliament where the matter was due to be debated.
Reporting by Diadie Ba; writing by David Lewis; editing by Mark Heinrich ; editing by Mark Heinrich
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.