(Reuters) - The U.S. aviation regulator denied on Tuesday a report that it had launched a new probe of the safety analyses performed over the years by Boeing Co BA.N on its 737 MAX models, following the crash of a Lion Air jet in Indonesia last month.
The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) was reviewing details surrounding the safety data and conclusions the company previously provided to it as part of certifying 737 MAX 8 and MAX 9 models.
“The FAA is not doing a safety probe separate from the ongoing Lion Air accident investigation of which we, the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) and Indonesian officials are a part,” the agency said in an emailed statement.
“As we have previously said, we have issued an (airworthiness directive) and will continue to take appropriate action based on what we learn from the investigation. This has not changed,” the FAA said.
The FAA and Boeing continue to evaluate the need for software and/or other design changes to the aircraft including operating procedures and training as we learn more from the ongoing investigation, the regulator added.
Boeing did not respond to requests for comment outside regular business hours.
A Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashed on Oct. 29 minutes after taking off from Jakarta, killing all 189 people aboard.
Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru and David Shepardson in Washington; Editing by Sunil Nair and Muralikumar Anantharaman
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.