LONDON (Reuters) - British and Thai police denied on Wednesday that detectives were seeking anyone in Thailand in connection with failed car bombings in London and Glasgow last month.
Thai national police spokesman, Lieutenant-General Ronarong Youngyuen, said comments by a senior police officer suggesting a Briton wanted in connection with the plots had been found in Thailand and deported were wrong. Denying any link to the London plots, Ronarong said British authorities had asked Thai police on June 29 to track down a Briton of Middle Eastern origin who had arrived in a small group on June 17.
The man needed to be “closely watched”, he said, but did not appear on any blacklists and left Thailand for Britain on July 2 of his own accord.
The senior Thai police officer, who declined to be identified, had told Reuters the man was a 30-year-old Arab businessman who was put on a plane back to Britain on Monday evening.
The officer later admitted he had got details wrong.
Two car bombs primed to explode in London’s bustling theatre and nightclub district were discovered early on June 29, and the next day a car burst into flames when the driver crashed it into the terminal building at Glasgow airport in Scotland.
Eight suspects have been detained by police in Britain and Australia.
A spokeswoman for London’s Metropolitan Police, whose counter-terrorism unit is leading the investigation into the failed bombings, said she had no knowledge of any arrest in Thailand.
Additional reporting by Nopporn Wong-Anan in Bangkok