LONDON (Reuters) - Police arrested a man after a shooting onboard the British nuclear-powered submarine HMS Astute which is believed to have injured two people, police said on Friday.
The shooting happened when the boat was in dock in the southern English port of Southampton. Local police and the Ministry of Defense said the shooting was not terrorist related.
The 7,500-tonne submarine is the first of a new class of nuclear-powered submarines. Commissioned into the Navy last August, she does not carry nuclear weapons.
“Hampshire police were called by their Ministry of Defense colleagues at 12.12 pm (1112 GMT) today....and are currently liaising with them to establish the exact circumstances of the incident,” police said in a statement.
“It is believed two people have sustained injuries as a result of gun shots being discharged on the vessel.
“People should be reassured there is no risk to public safety. Hampshire Constabulary and the MoD are keen to stress this incident is not terrorist related.”
The local Southern Daily Echo said one person had died and another was in hospital.
The one billion pound sub, which has a 98-strong crew, had arrived in Southampton on Wednesday for an informal five-day visit, from its base in Faslane, Scotland, and it was her first trip south.
During her stay she was not due to be open to the general public though civic leaders, Sea Cadets, scouts and school and college parties had been invited onboard.
The MoD said the incident was being handled by local police.
Writing by Avril Ormsby; Editing by Keith Weir