BEIJING (Reuters) - Think a bottle of mineral water might have poisoned you? Then test it on a chicken.
One Chinese family on the southern island province of Hainan had just that idea when one of their number started vomiting blood after drinking a bottle of water, a newspaper said.
They fed the luckless chicken the rest of the water to see what would happen, the Beijing News said, citing a report in a local paper. “The result was the chicken died within a minute,” it said, showing a picture of a man holding a plastic bottle squatting over the crumpled body of the bird.
The province’s authorities were investigating, it added.
Barely a day goes by without some new scandal over a made-in-China product, be it toys, toothpaste or fish, which has raised safety concerns in major export markets around the world.