August 25, 2008 / 9:19 PM / 9 years ago

Electronic Arts, Take-Two in confidential talks

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Video game makers Electronic Arts Inc and Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc signed a confidentiality agreement after agreeing to hold private talks about a potential transaction, EA said on Monday.

<p>Electronic Arts Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello speaks at the Electronic Arts news conference at the 2008 E3 Media &amp; Business Summit in Los Angeles July 14, 2008. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni</p>

EA, publishers of the popular “Madden” and “Need for Speed” games, dropped its hostile pursuit last week of Take-Two, the maker of the hot “Grand Theft Auto” games, after Take-Two agreed to spell out its three-year product plans, but only in private.

“As a result, EA does not intend to make any further announcements regarding the status of any discussions or negotiations with Take-Two unless and until discussions between EA and Take-Two have been terminated or such parties have entered into a transaction,” EA said in a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

EA offered to buy Take-Two for $25.74 a share, or about $2 billion, in April. The bid was promptly rejected as too low.

Shortly after EA dropped its bid, U.S. antitrust regulators said they would approve a combination of the two companies.

Reporting by Kenneth Li; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below