Reuters logo
Finnish court names knife attack suspect
August 28, 2017 / 8:04 AM / 2 months ago

Finnish court names knife attack suspect

The initial remand hearing of Abderrahman Mechkah (lying in a hospital bed, attending the court session via video), 18 year-old Moroccan man suspected of killing two people and attempting to kill eight others with terrorist intent in Turku, on Friday, August 19, is held at Southwest Finland District Court in Turku, Finland, August 22, 2017. LEHTIKUVA /Martti Kainulainen via REUTERS

HELSINKI (Reuters) - The Moroccan asylum seeker who told a court he killed two women in a knife attack in Finland is called Abderrahman Bouanane, legal papers showed on Monday.

Court documents also showed that the suspect - previously named by officials as 18-year-old Abderrahman Mechkah - is 22-years-old.

Finnish police said on Sunday the suspect gave officials a false identity when he entered the country in 2016.

Eight other people were wounded in the Aug. 18 knife attack in the south-western city of Turku, which is being investigated as Finland’s first terrorism-related assault.

The suspect, who remains in custody, has told a court he was responsible for the attack but denied his motive was terrorism.

He arrived in Finland in 2016, lived in a reception center in Turku and was denied asylum before the attack.

Reporting by Tuomas Forsell; Editintg by Andrew Heavens

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below