BEIJING (Reuters) - Mainland China has reported its first suspected case of H1N1 flu, a Chinese man in Sichuan province who had returned from studying in the United States, the Health Ministry said on Sunday.
The 30-year-old man was being treated in a hospital in provincial capital Chengdu and has been placed in quarantine, the ministry said in a statement.
“According to clinical appearances and the results of laboratory tests, the initial diagnosis is that it is a suspected case of type A H1N1 flu,” it said.
The ministry is urgently contacting people who may have been on his any of his flights back to Sichuan, it added.
On Saturday, a Mexican traveler confirmed as Hong Kong’s first and only case of the new flu strain was discharged from hospital.
State media also said China had put seven people under quarantine who had been exposed to three Japanese passengers diagnosed with the H1N1 flu.
Japan announced over the weekend its first confirmed cases of the new strain of flu — a teacher and two students who had spent time in Canada.
The seven quarantined had arrived in Shanghai and Beijing on Friday night, China’s health ministry was quoted as saying. It immediately told relevant local health departments to track down the seven passengers.
Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Angus MacSwan