May 30, 2018 / 5:57 PM / 3 months ago

Report: Former offensive lineman Incognito won't be charged for gym altercation

Boca Raton police say they won’t charge former Buffalo Bills offensive lineman Richie Incognito after an altercation at a gym last week, according to USA Today Sports.

Sep 10, 2017; Orchard Park, NY, USA; Buffalo Bills offensive guard Richie Incognito (64) gestures to fans following the game against the New York Jets at New Era Field. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

The police said Incognito appeared to be in an “altered, paranoid state” when they held him for mental evaluation in South Florida after the incident.

According to a police incident report obtained by multiple media outlets, Incognito “believed ordinary citizens were government officials that were tracking and recording him.” He told officers he was “running NSA class level 3 documents through my phone” and responded that the officers didn’t have high enough clearance when asked why the government was trying to watch him.

When told his behavior could pose a danger to others, Incognito told a woman in the pool to call the FBI, according to the report.

Incognito was held under Florida’s Baker Act, which allows involuntary mental evaluation. Incognito was not arrested and investigations revealed he had no intent to harm anyone, per the incident report, as “his actions were due to his paranoia that he was being followed, recorded and tracked by the government.”

Police were called to the scene after Incognito allegedly threw a tennis ball and then a dumb bell at a fellow gym patron and into the swimming pool.

The report details that Incognito told officers he had taken an over-the-counter supplement called “Shroom Tech” and showed officers that his hands were shaking heavily. He was also jumping and shifting locations suddenly, according to police.

Officers said they used two sets of handcuffs linked together on Incognito due to his muscular frame and that “it was determined that without care or treatment, there was a substantial likelihood Incognito would cause serious bodily harm to himself or others as evidenced by recent behavior.” Incognito was taken to South County Mental Health Facility for evaluation.

Incognito was released from the reserve/retired list by Buffalo on Monday.

According to an ESPN report, Incognito told the team he planned to unretire, leading to his release. The four-time Pro Bowler, who started all 48 games during his three seasons with the Bills, reportedly hopes to play elsewhere.

Incognito, who turns 35 in July, suddenly retired last month, citing health concerns from his personal physician, but multiple reports indicated his contract played a major role. Incognito reportedly asked the Bills to address his contract in the days before he posted “I’m done” via Twitter.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below