The felony resisting arrest with violence charge against New York Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson from a 2017 incident in Miami is expected to be dropped, according to multiple reports.
“This is the state, having reviewed it, doing what they’re supposed to do when you feel there’s not a likelihood of any conviction,” Anderson’s attorney, Ed O’Donnell, told ESPN on Wednesday. “They dropped the case.”
Anderson was arrested at a music festival in Miami Beach on May 7, 2017 after allegedly “fighting with security” and pushing a police officer. A trial hearing had been scheduled for Aug. 6, but prosecutors have determined there is insufficient evidence, O’Donnell told ESPN.
Anderson, who turned 25 last Wednesday, still faces a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving stemming from a separate incident — a Jan. 19 arrest in Sunrise, Fla. — with a hearing set for July 19.
Following that arrest, he originally faced nine charges, including multiple felonies, after allegedly driving 105 mph in a 45 mph zone, running two red lights and threatening to sexually assault the wife of the officer who pulled him over, according to the police report. A felony reckless driving charge was downgraded to a misdemeanor and all other charges were dropped in early April due to insufficient evidence.
A warrant was mistakenly issued earlier this month for Anderson’s arrest after it appeared he and his attorney missed a court appearance, but the warrant was lifted after the Broward County court determined a clerical error to be the cause.
Anderson faces a maximum sentence of 90 days in jail or 90 days of probation if convicted of reckless driving.
He could be disciplined by the NFL under the league’s personal-conduct policy for either incident, despite the expected dropping of the charge from the 2017 arrest.
—Field Level Media