ROME (Reuters) - Italian Deputy Prime Minister Luigi Di Maio has not threatened to pull his party out of the ruling coalition, his spokeswoman said on Thursday, adding that the government was united in its determination to keep its policy pledges.
A news agency had reported earlier that Di Maio, leader of the 5-Star Movement, had threatened to bring down the government unless Economy Minister Giovanni Tria agreed to fund a hike in welfare and cut taxes.
“Di Maio never said he wanted to bring down the government, he reiterated the seriousness and the determination of the government ... to improve the quality of life of Italians,” his spokeswoman said in a statement.
“All the ministers are united to achieve this result ... the government is strong and united.”
Reporting by Gavin Jones; Editing by Crispian Balmer