SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appealed on Wednesday a federal judge’s decision striking down a state law barring the sale of violent video games to minors.
U.S. District Judge Ronald Whyte ruled last month that the law passed in 2005 was unconstitutional, adding there was no evidence that violent video games were any more harmful than depictions of violence in television shows and movies.
Schwarzenegger, who acted in many violent movies, argued that violent video games should be for adults only.
“Many studies show the link between playing ultra-violent video games and violent behavior. We have a responsibility to our kids and our communities to protect against the effects of games that depict ultra-violent actions,” Schwarzenegger said in a statement.
“We protect our children from buying inappropriate movies and ought to be able to protect them from buying inappropriate video games as well,” he said.
Schwarzenegger’s appeal was filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Reporting by Jim Christie
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.