ISTANBUL (Reuters) - New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said on Friday that he did not ask Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan to stop showing at election rallies video footage of last week’s shooting in Christchurch because he understood it has stopped.
“No, I did not ask that question because I felt that I did not have to ask it, because they are not doing that anymore,” Peters told reporters at a meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, where he had met with Erdogan.
At a series of rallies over the last week, including on Thursday, Erdogan has shown footage of the New Zealand shootings that the alleged gunman had broadcast on Facebook. That triggered a diplomatic dispute between the nations.
Peters said Erdogan reassured him that the citizens who are coming to Turkey will be welcomed as before and that the initial “misinterpretations” were all cleared up.
Reporting by Sarah Dadouch; Writing by Ezgi Erkoyun; Editing by Jonathan Spicer