(Reuters) - Procter & Gamble Co (PG.N) named Robert McDonald as its new chief executive on Wednesday, replacing A.G. Lafley, who has held the post for nine years.
Here are five facts about McDonald.
* Robert McDonald was born June 20, 1953 in Gary, Indiana, and grew up in Chicago.
* He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1975 and got his MBA from the University of Utah in 1978.
* McDonald served as a U.S. Army captain from 1975-1980, primarily in the 82nd Airborne Division.
* He joined Cincinnati-based P&G on June 4, 1980.
* McDonald has held several positions at P&G in the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, the Philippines and Belgium. He was named vice chairman of global operations in 2004 and became chief operating officer in 2007.
Source: P&G; Reporting by Jessica Wohl; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn