ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - A pet rabbit is being credited for saving its owners from a house fire in southeastern Alaska before it died of smoke inhalation, fire officials said on Friday.
The rabbit woke up the homeowner early on Tuesday morning by scratching on her chest, the Ketchikan Fire Department said in a statement.
The homeowner realized that the house was full of smoke, woke up her daughter and fled the house.
The fire was brought under control fairly quickly, with four engines, a ladder truck and 33 firefighters responding.
Damage to the house from flames, smoke and water was considered moderate.
While there were no injuries to the mother or daughter, the rabbit was not so lucky. The animal succumbed to smoke inhalation and did not survive, the fire department said.
Reporting by Yereth Rosen. Editing by Dan Whitcomb