WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Over 7 million tea lights have been voluntarily recalled due to a burn hazard, the government said on Wednesday.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said in a statement that tea lights imported by Pacific Trade International have a clear plastic cup that can melt and even ignite, posing fire and burn hazards.
Pacific Trade has received one report of a melting cup while the candle was in use. No damage or injury was reported.
The recall includes tea lights sold under the Chesapeake Bay Candle and Modern Light brand names, the CPSC statement said. They come in various colors and in sets or with tea light containers.
Tea lights were sold at Fred Meyer, Home Goods, Marshalls, Super Value, Target, TJ Maxx and Wegmans stores nationwide from July 2009 to February 2011.
Consumers should return the tea lights to the store where they were purchased for a store merchandise card equal to the purchase price, the CPSC said.
Reporting by Wendell Marsh; Editing by Jerry Norton