(Reuters) - Documents accidentally posted online by a California court revealed that PG&E Corp settled with a victim of the 2010 San Bruno pipeline blast for nearly $2.5 million, according to a newspaper report.
The link to the “San Bruno Pipeline Coordinated Case” on the San Mateo County Superior Court website had been taken down as of Thursday. Tim Benton, director of information technology for the court, said it would be made available again “sometime in the near future.” He declined to comment further.
The San Mateo County Times reported that court-sealed documents posted on the court website showed the utility paid the teenage girl $1.8 million, plus $677,700 to cover her attorneys’ fees and $19,400 for medical expenses.
The pipeline blast on September 9, 2010, left her with second- and third-degree burns that required extensive treatment and would likely leave scars, the newspaper said, citing the lawsuit.
It was a year ago on Thursday that investigators released a report blaming PG&E’s lax approach to pipeline safety and weak government oversight for the blast, which destroyed 38 homes, killed eight people and injured dozens more.
The documents, which had been sealed by court order, were filed on July 18, according to the newspaper.
Reporting by Braden Reddall in San Francisco; Editing by Phil Berlowitz