STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson can’t rule out further staff cuts as part of new planned savings, the firm’s sales chief said on Friday.
The world number three mobile phone maker, which already has a program underway to save 300 million euros annually, on Friday announced plans to save another 180 million from end-2009.
“We can not exclude that it will also influence headcount at the company. But we have to come back to the details of that program, probably at the next report,” global sales chief Anders Runevad told Reuters.
Runevad also said the amount of unsold Sony Ericsson phones in the sales channels were slightly lower than a year ago.
“We don’t have an alarming stock level in our distribution partner network. We have a stock level, roughly, a little bit less than last year,” he said.
“Then again, the market is also less than last year... I would expect that distributors, retail networks, will do a certain amount of destocking in the first half of this year.”
Sony Ericsson posted a much bigger than expected fourth-quarter loss on Friday.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.