Reuters logo
France was unaware of existence of Barcelona attack cell: minister
August 22, 2017 / 7:35 AM / 2 months ago

France was unaware of existence of Barcelona attack cell: minister

A funeral van is parked at the place where Younes Abouyaaqoub, the man suspected of driving the van that killed 13 people in Barcelona last week, was killed by police in Subirats, Spain, August 21, 2017. REUTERS/Albert Gea

PARIS (Reuters) - French authorities were unaware of the existence of the cell which carried out last week’s attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, said interior minister Gerard Collomb.

“We did not know them, they were exclusively Spanish,” Collomb told BFM TV on Tuesday, adding that he would meet his Spanish counterpart on Wednesday.

Collomb confirmed earlier media reports that the car involved in the attack in Cambrils had been caught on camera speeding in the Paris region, but said authorities did not know at this stage why the car was there.

Reporting by Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Richard Lough

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below