PARIS (Reuters) - Australian dynamo Nick Kyrgios pulled out of the French Open on Sunday after failing to shake off a persistent elbow injury that has troubled him in recent weeks.
The burly 23-year-old had looked untroubled when sauntering into the grounds of the Roland Garros stadium at around 11am local time on a bright and sunny Parisian morning, but just a handful of hours later his tournament was over.
“Sorry guys, I tried everything I could to be ready... but I came up short,” Kyrgios wrote in a message on Twitter, adorned with tearful emojis.
He attached a picture of a more formal note.
“Unfortunately I have to withdraw from this year’s French Open,” Kyrgios’s note said. “Having consulted with my team and medical experts it is deemed too risky for me to step out and potentially play five sets on clay especially as I have not played a singles match in nearly two months.
“I’ve worked hard to be ready and desperately wanted to play Roland Garros, which is very special to me but I literally ran out of time.”
The world number 23 had been scheduled to take on compatriot Bernard Tomic in the opening round on Monday.
Kyrgios said a dramatic increase in load on his elbow could potentially put him back to square one, and that he was not prepared to take the risk with the grasscourt season looming.
“The good news is I am finally pain free,” he added, “working hard and enjoying my training and am looking forward to being back in action in Stuttgart.”
The Mercedes Cup starts in Stuttgart, on grass, on June 11.
Grass, a much faster surface than clay, better suits the Australian’s all-action style.
Additional reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Radnedge