August 1, 2009 / 12:29 PM / 9 years ago

NY's LaGuardia airport reopens after bomb scare

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Authorities temporarily closed one of the terminals at New York’s busy LaGuardia airport on Saturday morning and took a man into custody after discovering what turned out to be a fake bomb in his bag.

Stranded passengers make phone calls after they failed to board as standby passengers on the final flight to Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas, at LaGuardia Airport in New York December 19, 2008.REUTERS/Jacob Silberberg

Most of the airport’s main terminal was closed at 5:30 a.m. EDT and travelers were allowed to return about 3.5 hours later. Jack Kelly, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said the terminal’s Concourse C, where the man was taken into custody, would remain closed until a crime scene investigation had been completed.

Kelly described the suspect as emotionally disturbed and New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said the man was drunk.

“He was carrying a hoax device,” Browne said. “The hoax device consisted of batteries and wires in a duffle bag.”

Officials of the Port Authority, which operates the New York City’s three major airports, were working with affected airlines to reroute some travelers.

Reporting by Michelle Nichols and Eric Walsh; Editing by Bill Trott

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below