May 30 - The following are some basic facts about Bordeaux.
* Bordeaux is France’s largest fine wine region in both production and vineyard acreage (123,000 hectares, or 300,000 acres).
* The Bordeaux region produces approximately 60 million-to-70 million cases of wine each vintage (12 x 750ml bottles per case).
* Bordeaux has more than 9,000 wine producers. Sixty percent of these producers make the wine on their own premises, while the remainder entrust this task to the 52 cooperatives.
* Key Grape Varieties: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Carmenere, Malbec; Semillon, Saugivnon Blanc, Muscadelle.
* 88 percent of Bordeaux wines are red; 11 percent are white.
Source: Bordeaux Wine Bureau