NEW YORK (Reuters) - United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Monday that a “disappointing” $1.7 billion had been pledged for humanitarian aid in Yemen in 2021, warning that “cutting aid is a death sentence.”
The United Nations has been seeking $3.85 billion to avert a large-scale famine in Yemen. Guterres said in a statement the $1.7 billion raised on Monday was “less than we received for the humanitarian response plan in 2020 and a billion dollars less than was pledged at the conference we held in 2019.”
Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Chris Reese
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.