* The Institute for Supply Management Chicago is due to releases its October index of manufacturing activity at 1345 GMT. Economists expect the index to show an October reading of 48.0, compared with 56.7 in September.
* Chevron CVX.N is set to release its results. Investors will look for detail on how the second-largest U.S. oil company plans to deal with the 50 percent slide in oil prices, as well as the potential drop in demand from the economic slowdown.
* Analysts expect Chevron to earn $3.27 per share, excluding items, up from $1.94 cents a year earlier.
* Clorox CLX.N results could show that even the hardiest brands are taking a hit and may have detail about how the company's efforts to offer more environmentally friendly products are faring.
* McAfee Inc MFE.N stock rose 6.3 percent in after-hours trade on Thursday after the security company posted a third-quarter profit that beat analyst expectations.
* U.S. stocks rose on Thursday on optimism that aggressive rate cuts by global central banks will help cushion a worldwide economic downturn. (Reporting by Joanne Frearson; Editing by Hans Peters) (firstname.lastname@example.org; +44 207 542 6437, Reuters Messaging:email@example.com)