Feb 3 (Reuters) - U.S. auto sales fell 37 percent in January from a year earlier, according to data from auto manufacturers on Tuesday. The following are highlights from the largest carmakers in the U.S. market.
* Total light vehicle sales 656,976 million units.
* Seasonally adjusted annualized sales rate 9.57 mln vs 15.37 mln a year earlier. The result represents the lowest monthly sales rate since Dec. 1981.
General Motors Corp (GM.N)
* Light vehicle sales down 49 percent (129,227 units)
* Year-to-date sales down 49 percent
* Vehicle inventories at month-end: 801,000 units, down about 103,000 from a year earlier
* Cars/trucks: Car sales down 57.9 percent/light truck sales down 42.5 percent
* Key vehicles: Chevrolet Impala down 59.8 percent, Chevrolet Malibu down 36 percent, Chevrolet Silverado down 33.6 percent, Chevrolet Tahoe down 47.6 percent, GMC Sierra down 39.2 percent.
* Incentives: average $2,992 per vehicle, down from $3,322 a year earlier.
* Vehicle sales down 34.4 percent on adjusted basis (117,287 units)
* Year-to-date sales down 34.4 percent
* Cars/trucks: Car sales down 31.6 percent, trucks down 37.7 percent
* Key vehicles: Tundra down 43.6 percent, Camry down 36.8 percent, Prius down 31.4 percent, Corolla down 10.8 percent
* Incentives: averaged $1,973 per vehicle, up from $1,031 a year earlier.
Ford Motor Co (F.N)
* Vehicle sales excluding the Volvo unit down 38.9 percent (90,596 units).
* Year-to-date sales down 38.9 percent
* Inventories at month-end 420,000 units, down 156,000 units from a year earlier
* Cars/trucks: Car sales down 35.1 percent, truck sales down 40.5 percent
* Key vehicles: F-Series down 38.6 percent, Explorer down 48.9 percent, Expedition down 52.1 percent, Focus down 33.0 percent, Fusion down 11.2 percent.
* Incentives: averaged $3,574 per vehicle, up from $3,055 a year earlier.
* Vehicle sales down 30.7 percent on adjusted basis (71,031 units)
* Year-to-date sales 30.7 percent
* Cars/trucks: cars down 29.6 percent, trucks down 32.1 percent
* Key vehicles: Civic down 35 percent, Fit up 1.8 percent, Accord down 33.5 percent, Pilot down 23.3 percent, Odyssey down 40.6 percent, CR-V down 21.1 percent
* Incentives: average $1,349 per vehicle, up from $988 a year earlier
Chrysler LLC [CBS.UL]
* Car and light truck sales down 55 percent (62,157 units)
* Year-to-date sales down 55 percent
* Cars/trucks: Car sales down 66 percent, truck sales down 49 percent
* Inventories at month-end 359,980 units, down 13 percent from year ago.
* Key vehicles: Jeep Wrangler up 4 percent, Dodge Ram pickup down 35 percent, Dodge Caliber down 78 percent.
* Incentives: average $4,196 per vehicle, up from $3,616 a year earlier.
Nissan Motor Co Ltd (7201.T)NSANY.O
* Car and light truck sales down 29.7 percent year over year (53,884 units).
* Cars/trucks: Cars down 27.0 percent, trucks down 33.6 percent.
* Key vehicles: Altima down 34.7 percent, Versa down 10.8 percent, Sentra down 25.6 percent, Titan down 60.5 percent, Murano down 8.5 percent.
* Incentives: average $2,270 per vehicle, up from $2,129 a year earlier.
Sources: Company releases. Autodata Corp and industry tracking firm Edmunds.com for incentives and market share.
January 2009 had 26 selling days, compared with 25 selling days in the same month in 2008. (Reporting by Soyoung Kim, editing by Matthew Lewis)