LONDON, Feb 14 (Reuters) - Huawei’s vice president and cyber security chief John Suffolk said that to his knowledge no mobile operator had ever given the Chinese company access to the equipment it uses to intercept calls when required to do so by security services.
“We have no access to this equipment, we don’t know what call or information is being intercepted, we don’t know when it is intercepted - all we do is provide one side of the box which is blind to what’s happening on the other side of the box,” he told reporters on Friday.
“Our equipment has to be connected, often the gateway is in a special room because of the sensitivity. I’m not aware of any operator who has said to Huawei: ‘Come and sit in this room and see what’s going on’.
“If I found out that our staff were involved with such things, then we would take appropriate action on that.”
United States officials told the Wall Street Journal earlier this week that Huawei could use its equipment to covertly access telecoms networks. (Reporting by Paul Sandle; editing by Stephen Addison)
Reuters Breakingviews is the world's leading source of agenda-setting financial insight. As the Reuters brand for financial commentary, we dissect the big business and economic stories as they break around the world every day. A global team of about 30 correspondents in New York, London, Hong Kong and other major cities provides expert analysis in real time.
Sign up for a free trial of our full service at https://www.breakingviews.com/trial and follow us on Twitter @Breakingviews and at www.breakingviews.com. All opinions expressed are those of the authors.