Procter & Gamble Co (PG.N)
The world's largest consumer goods maker Procter & Gamble Co narrowly beat quarterly earnings expectations on Thursday, saying shrinking retailer inventories and higher commodities and transportation costs squeezed margins.
LONDON/CHICAGO Procter & Gamble's $4.2 billion deal for Merck's vitamin and supplements business demonstrates that major consumer companies remain hungry for health-related products.
* Health and wellness seen as attractive to younger consumers
LONDON/CHICAGO, April 20 Procter & Gamble's $4.2 billion deal for Merck's vitamin and supplements business is the latest example of a major consumer company stocking up on health-related products.
Procter & Gamble Co (P&G) has agreed to acquire Merck KGaA's consumer health unit for 3.4 billion euros ($4.2 billion), giving it vitamin brands such as Seven Seas and greater exposure to Latin American and Asian markets.
* Merck to update earnings guidance at Q1 results (Adds Breakingviews link)
ZURICH/LONDON/CHICAGO Quarterly sales growth at Nestle, Procter & Gamble and Unilever was driven almost entirely by shifting more goods, in a stark illustration of how hard it is for consumer products makers to raise prices in a competitive retail environment. | Video
* Nestle shares up, Unilever and P&G down (Adds comments from P&G CEO, Unilever CFO, background on rising freight costs; updates shares)
April 19 The world's largest consumer goods maker Procter & Gamble Co narrowly beat quarterly earnings expectations on Thursday, saying shrinking retailer inventories and higher commodities and transportation costs squeezed margins.
LONDON (Reuters Breakingviews) - Buying stuff is not the standard prescription for companies under pressure from activist investors. Procter & Gamble’s 3.4 billion euro splurge on Merck KGaA’s consumer unit, the maker of Seven Seas vitamin pills, will need a booster shot to earn the support of newly appointed board member Nelson Peltz.
- This Dividend King Is Down 15%, But Is A Buy On Strong Earnings And Growth
- The Procter & Gamble Company 2018 Q1 - Results - Earnings Call Slides
- Procter & Gamble: On Sale Amidst Continued Challenges
- Inflation And Trade War Are Triggering Declines - Cramer's Mad Money (4/19/18)
- Procter & Gamble's (PG) CEO David Taylor on Q3 2018 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
- Procter & Gamble (PG) To Acquire Consumer Health Business Of Merck KGaA - Slideshow