Shire PLC (SHP.L)
Mon, Jun 11 2018
TOKYO A group of Takeda Pharmaceutical Co Ltd shareholders is trying to build support to block the $62 billion acquisition of London-listed Shire Plc at an extraordinary general meeting, a leading member of the group told Reuters on Monday.
* Owns 1 pct of shares, needs one third of shareholders to block
* Proposal says Shire deal could damage existing shareholders
TOKYO, May 29 Japanese drugmaker Takeda Pharmaceutical Co Ltd faces demands from disgruntled shareholders to put to a vote its $62-billion acquisition of London-listed Shire and do more to assuage concerns over the record-breaking deal.
* Takeda looking to strengthen pipeline by acquiring Shire (Adds executive comment, details)
LONDON/TOKYO Takeda Pharmaceutical agreed to buy London-listed Shire for 45.3 billion pounds ($62 billion) on Tuesday, the biggest yet in a wave of deals sweeping the drugs industry. | Video
LONDON (Reuters Breakingviews) - Takeda Pharmaceutical is swallowing a big dose of risk to buy Shire. The Japanese drugmaker finally struck a deal to take control of its Irish peer, for $62 billion. It can just about make the math work, but requires big spending cuts and a load of debt.
* Deal expected to close in first half of 2019 (Adds ratings agency reaction, further details)
MILAN, May 8 The FTSE edged up on Tuesday after a long weekend as a drop in the pound supported the internationally exposed index, while takeover activity boosted shares in drug-maker Shire and Virgin Money bank.
LONDON, May 8 Takeda Pharma agreed to buy London-listed Shire for 46 billion pounds ($62.42 billion) on Tuesday after the Japanese company raised the amount of cash in its offer to $30.33 to secure a recommendation.
- David Marcus Discusses the Policy Aspects of Corporate Inversions
- European Markets Are Spooked by Ukraine and Gaza, but AbbVie Gets Shire Deal
- AbbVie Continues To Pursue Irish Drugmaker Shire With Higher Offer
- European Markets Rise Despite Iraq Conflict, as Local Economy and Stocks Take Center Stage
- IPO Preview: Acceleron Pharma
- FTSE Shares That Soared and Plunged This Week