Marks and Spencer Group PLC (MKS.L)
22 Nov 2017
* Small-caps vulnerable as earnings downgrades multiply (ADVISORY- Follow European and UK stock markets in real time on the Reuters Live Markets blog on Eikon, see cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets)
LONDON Marks & Spencer will speed up store closures after falling sales and cost pressures dragged first-half profit lower, underlining its struggle to regain the loyalty of British shoppers.
* Shares up 1 pct (Adds Chairman Archie Norman comments from media briefing)
LONDON (Reuters Breakingviews) - First everyday socks lost their charm, now it’s melt-in-the-middle chocolate puddings. British retailer Marks & Spencer will speed up closures of its clothing stores, aiming to move sales online. But the usually reliable food business is looking a bit off, too.
* CEO says "we're quite pleased with the start to Christmas" trading
LONDON, Nov 8 Britain's Marks & Spencer on Wednesday reported a 5.3 percent fall in first-half profit, a second straight decline, hurt by sales falls, and said it would speed up the pace of its turnaround plan.
* Helen weir, chief finance officer, has informed board of her desire to pursue a plural career
Nov 8 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening down 7 points at 7,505.8 on Wednesday, according to financial bookmakers. * ROLLS-ROYCE: The U.S. Justice Department unsealed charges on Tuesday against five individuals for their alleged role in a scheme to pay bribes to foreign government officials to benefit Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc and help secure a contract to provide services for a major gas pipeline from Central Asia to China. * SKY: British broadcaster Sky has sa
* GFS buoyed by upgrade, Indivior by FDA news (Adds detail, closing prices)
LONDON Quarterly sales at British clothing retailer Next missed some analysts' forecasts as it blamed a mild October and "extremely volatile" trading, sending shares across the sector lower on Wednesday.