Sean 'Diddy' Combs ordered to pay $100 million in sexual assault lawsuit

Sept 10 (Reuters) - A Michigan inmate who accused Sean “Diddy” Combs of drugging and sexually assaulting him at a party almost 30 years ago has been awarded a $100 million judgment against the rapper and record producer.
Derrick Lee Smith, 51, won the multimillion-dollar judgment by default in Lenawee County Circuit Court during a virtual hearing on Monday after Combs, 54, failed to show up.
An attorney for Combs said the rapper would move to have the judgment dismissed.
“This man (Smith) is a convicted felon and sexual predator, who has been sentenced on 14 counts of sexual assault and kidnapping over the last 26 years," attorney Marc Agnifilo said in a statement.
"His resume now includes committing a fraud on the court from prison, as Mr. Combs has never heard of him let alone been served with any lawsuit. Mr. Combs looks forward to having this judgment swiftly dismissed," the statement added.
Smith, who was sentenced to prison for 75 years on sexual misconduct and kidnapping charges, filed complaints against Combs in June and August. He was given a temporary restraining order against Combs, who has several other sexual assault cases still pending.
Combs, founder of the landmark label Bad Boy Records, is one of the most influential producers and executives in hip-hop and a hugely successful performer, as well as the impresario of his own Sean John clothing line.

Sign up here.

Reporting by Danielle Broadway and Steve Gorman in Los Angeles Editing by Matthew Lewis

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tab

Purchase Licensing Rights

Thomson Reuters

Danielle Broadway covers topics that range from film premieres, celebrity news, Hollywood legal proceedings, theater, press junkets, enterprise stories and more at Thomson Reuters. She has a bachelor's and a master's degree in English Literature from Cal State Long Beach and previously worked at the Los Angeles Times and freelanced at Teen Vogue, USA Today, Black Girl Nerds and other outlets. Danielle won an LA Press Club award for her Los Angeles Times cover story about South Los Angeles representation in the show "Insecure" and is a GLAAD Media Award nominee for her work on the PBS series "Subcultured" episode about the gay rodeo. She is a member of the African American Film Critics Association, Critics Choice Association, LA Press Club and GALECA (LGBTQ+ Critics).