DOHA, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Japan play Croatia in the last 16 at the World Cup in Al Wakrah on Monday.
When: Monday, Dec. 5, 1800 local (1500 GMT/1000 ET)
Where: Al Janoub Stadium
Odds (after 90 minutes):
Japan win: 11/4
Croatia win: 21/20
* Croatia are undefeated in nine of their last 10 World Cup matches, their only loss in that run coming in the 2018 final against France when they were beaten 4-2. They finished runners-up in Group F in Qatar with five points from their three games.
* Japan were winners of Group E with six points from a possible nine, having beaten Spain and Germany but surprisingly lost to Costa Rica. They have never been past the last 16 of World Cup after falling at this hurdle in 2002, 2010 and 2018.
* Croatia have never lost in the last 16. They beat Romania 1-0 in 1998 and Denmark on penalties after a 1-1 draw four years ago in their two previous visits to this stage of the tournament.
View 2 more stories
* Japan will be without centre-back Kou Itakura, who is suspended having picked up two yellow cards in the group stage. He is one of three players who has featured in every minute of the campaign so far for them.
* Japan have played Croatia three times since 1997, two of those at the World Cup. The Asian side won a friendly clash 4-3 in their first meeting, but Croatia claimed a 1-0 group stage success at the 1998 World Cup when Davor Suker scored the only goal. They also played to a 0-0 draw in the first round at the 2006 tournament in Germany.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.