Aug 30 (Reuters) - Elon Musk is seeking to delay until November a trial over his intention to back out of a $44 billion deal to buy Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) and amend his complaint against the social media company, according to court filings, after a whistleblower provided him with fresh ammunition.
The court filings came after Musk's lawyer earlier in the day sent a fresh letter to Twitter to include a whistleblower complaint as another reason to scrap the deal. read more
In July, the Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) CEO sent his first termination letter to Twitter, accusing it of misleading him over the number of fake accounts on its platform.
Now, he says the problems go beyond the bogus accounts, and include data security and other concerns raised by the whistleblower, creating a new battle front with Twitter.
Last week, Peiter Zatko, Twitter's former security chief, said in a complaint filed with U.S. regulators that Twitter prioritized user growth over reducing spam and falsely claimed it had a solid security plan. read more
Musk and Twitter have sued each other in Delaware state court and a five-day trial is scheduled to start Oct. 17.
Musk on Tuesday asked the judge to let both sides continue briefing their cases through Nov. 10, followed by a conference to discuss what evidence they can introduce at trial. Musk said a trial could begin later that month "subject to the court's availability." read more
The motion to amend his complaint was filed under seal in Delaware Chancery Court.
Twitter wants the court to order Musk to close the deal for $54.20 per share. Musk filed a countersuit, accusing Twitter of fraud.
Legal experts said the whistleblower complaint introduced uncertainty to Musk's showdown with Twitter, rather than dramatically transforming a case that corporate law specialists have said favors Twitter. read more
"One door that remains unused by Musk is a federal securities fraud claim," Eric Talley, a professor at Columbia Law School, said.
Meanwhile, Twitter on Tuesday asked the court to deny Musk's request for an additional pre-2022 document, calling the motion a "maneuver to derail the trial schedule."
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
- BusinessDongwon Industries eyes acquiring McDonald's Korea, decision yet to be made
South Korea's Dongwon Industries Co Ltd in a regulatory filing on Monday said it is considering buying the local unit of U.S. fast-food chain McDonald's Corp .
- DealsHancock Energy's updated $304 million bid for Warrego Energy satisfies minimum condition
Gina Rinehart-owned Hancock Energy said on Monday that its updated A$0.36 per share offer for Australia's Warrego Energy , which valued the oil and gas explorer at A$440 million ($304 million) has received the minimum required 40% approval from Warrego shareholders.