BUENOS AIRES Argentina's economy is expected to contract by 12% in 2020, a monthly central bank poll of analysts showed on Friday, worse than the previous estimate of a 9.4% decline, as output is ravaged by measures to tame the coronavirus outbreak.
(Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A property tax rise in Armenia risks forcing elderly people from homes they have lived in since the Soviet era and which have risen dramatically in value since then, critics have warned.
LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - To meet a binding goal of achieving net-zero climate-changing emissions by 2050, Britain needs to upgrade its 29 million homes to use less fossil-fuel energy, often through measures such as adding insulation or swapping to low-carbon heating.
MILAN Fastweb, the Italian phone unit of Swisscom , is set to invest in the last-mile network Telecom Italia is looking to develop with U.S. infrastructure fund KKR, two sources familiar with the matter said on Friday.
MILAN Fiat Chrysler (FCA) and PSA said on Friday they were sticking to the merger plan signed last year after a newspaper said the carmakers were looking at spinning off assets to cut a planned 5.5 billion euro ($6.2 billion) cash payout to FCA shareholders.
FRANKFURT Germany's lower and upper houses of parliament formally approved a law on Friday on ending coal burning by 2038.
TOKYO Japan's government will review bank transfer fees as part of a broader move to improve digital payment systems, an outline of this year's economic growth strategy showed on Friday.
After finishing the first half of 2020 on a high, bulls have charged into the remaining six months on promising news of a vaccine and data showing 4.8 million U.S. jobs created in June, after 2.7 million in May.
LONDON The chairman of majority state-backed lender Royal Bank of Scotland has called on the Bank of England to lift curbs on dividends by the autumn to make lenders attractive to investors again.
SINGAPORE Global supply of fuel oil, used by ships and power plants, is expected to grow in the third quarter, depressing the marine fuel market as shipping demand remains weak, analysts and trade sources said.
Business News Headlines
- Trump approves five-week extension for small business pandemic loan applications
- UK to double work coaches as lockdown hammers jobs market
- End of the runway for 747 jumbo as Boeing placed final part orders |
- Wirecard ex-COO Marsalek's entry into Philippines was faked, minister says
- Siemens sees up to 20% drop in business in April-June quarter, CFO tells Boersenzeitung
- Gilead's COVID-19 antiviral remdesivir gets conditional EU clearance |
- Aeromexico shares rise for second day despite missed debt payment
- Embraer union seeks planemaker's board ouster after failed Boeing deal
- Daimler seeks to sell French factory in production overhaul