Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Top News

Local resident captures Brussels police raid on video

Monday, March 21, 2016 - 00:47

Video show the arrest of two men during a raid by special forces in Brussels with one trying to get away. The operation led to the capture of Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in the Paris attacks. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT - NATURAL (NO REPORTER NARRATION) Video footage released by a French TV channel on Monday (March 21) shows how special forces tackled last week's raid in Brussels leading to the arrest the prime surviving suspect for November's Paris attacks. The video obtained by French news channel i-Television was shot by a local resident from a window at a nearby crossroad in the Molenbeek area of Brussels and shows how authorities led the operation. The footage shows a man suddenly exiting the building and trying to run away triggering special forces to fire at him. Though Reuters could not independently confirm that one of the men seen in the video is Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in the Paris attacks, the Belgian prosecutor's office said he had been wounded in the leg and arrested during the raid along with a second man identified as Monir Ahmed Alaaj alias Amine Choukri Choukri -- both names that investigators have said appear on fake documents. Abdeslam was formally charged on Saturday with involvement in terrorist murder along with Choukri. A third man detained on Friday in the same house, named as Abid A., was charged with being a member of a terrorist organization and aiding and abetting criminals. A woman detainee, Djemila M., was charged with aiding and abetting but released, the prosecutors said in a statement. A second woman was released without charge. Abdeslam told Belgian investigators on Saturday (March 19) that he had planned to blow himself up on Nov. 13 at the Stade de France but changed his mind, the Paris prosecutor said. The prosecutor said that at worst it could take three months for Abdeslam to be handed over to France after the 26-year old said he would oppose extradition to his homeland. Islamic State, which says it carried out the attacks, had in a claim of responsibility described each of the locations struck, including the 18th district of the French capital, where no attack actually took place. The gun and bomb attacks killed 130 people on Nov. 13 in bars, a sports stadium and a concert hall in the French capital.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Local resident captures Brussels police raid on video

Monday, March 21, 2016 - 00:47