Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Eurozone

'New evidence' for high court in case of critically-ill baby: family spokesman

Monday, July 10, 2017 - 01:20

Speaking outside of a court hearing over treatment options for critically ill baby Charlie Gard, a family spokesman said ''Charlie's parents look forward to new evidence being heard before the high court this Thursday.'' Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) The parents of a critically ill baby said on Monday (July 10) they were thankful that they will be given the chance to present new evidence relating to their son's case. A friend spoke on behalf of Connie Yates and Chris Gard as they left the High Court after they were told they had 48 hours to produce the evidence. The pair, whose 11-month-old son Charlie Gard, suffers from a form of mitochondrial disease, a rare genetic condition that causes progressive muscle weakness and brain damage, want him to be sent to the United States for experimental therapy. Yates and Gard lost a legal battle to take their son to the United States for the treatment at the end of last month when the European Court of Human Rights upheld the British court's decision that the trip would cause him unnecessary suffering.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

'New evidence' for high court in case of critically-ill baby: family spokesman

Monday, July 10, 2017 - 01:20